We are now open for members!
Membership of Makespace costs £40/month to get 24/7 access to the space and all the equipment. This money is used to keep Makespace and the equipment running.
After you’ve signed up we’ll be in touch to arrange an induction, at which you’ll get your RFID access token. You don’t have to pay anything until the day of your induction.
There are some more notes about membership in our FAQ.
Makespace is a membership organisation and membership is open to individuals aged over 18.
Membership costs £40 inc VAT per month with a minimum subscription of 3 months. Members are required to pay monthly, sign the Membership Agreement, comply with the Makespace Rules, and take an induction. Members receive entry to both the general workshop and secure workshop via an access token (additional training is required to use some kit), may attend events, may book rooms/workspaces, may run events, and may purchase “top up” services. Members must comply with membership terms and rules and must read and follow the Health and Safety briefing.
Guest Membership applies to visitors who must be signed in the Guest Book on arrival and exit, are guests of Members, and may be attending a hosted event. Guest Members may enter Makespace only when accompanied and escorted by a Member at valid times. Guest Members are required to comply with the Makespace Rules, may not enter the Secure Workshop, cannot book rooms/workspaces or run events, and may be restricted in what equipment they can use and with what training. There is no charge for Guest Membership although some events which Guest Members may attend may require an attendance fee to be paid.
How do I become a member?
- Sign up to becoming a member, using our membership system.
- If you haven’t already, come and see Makespace during one of our open events which happen frequently – choose one on meetup.makespace.org. (Note that events where it’s possible to meet Makespace are clearly marked on the Meetup group; you need to attend a public event where there are Members available and willing to show you around, or with an existing member who can show you around. This is important as we want you to know what you’re going to get, and as all members get 24/7 access to Makespace, we need to know who we are giving keys to!
If you like what you see (you will, we’re sure!) then you should use the sign-up app to book an induction. The app lists and tracks all the steps
- The final step is your induction(s). You’ll need a credit/debit card for payment, which is a recurring monthly fee paid via our online payment provider. You’ll also need to bring with you your signed membership agreement (which you’ll already have read) and a passport photo at your induction. It’s a good idea to read and digest the rules and safety briefings in advance.
The first induction will ensure you know how to get out of Makespace in a fire, can identify the first-aid kit, know what’s in the membership agreement and where everything is. After this induction you will be able come and go as you please, but for certain pieces of workshop equipment you’ll need separate training before you can use each of them. At your main induction you will get an induction checklist to track all the bits of kit that you’ve had inductions for.
Depending on demand, it may take us a while to get your induction set up – please bear with us, we’re all volunteers!
- For full details on the actual induction process, please see The induction checklist.
If any of the steps are inappropriate for you, please get in touch with as at firstname.lastname@example.org – we’re at an early stage, and things can be flexible – we want to make sure that we are as inclusive as we can be! This process was devised by the founding member community at a planning meeting after a long conversation about vetting, security and safety, as well as being influenced by strong advice from other hackspaces.
Cancellation and changes
If you wish to cancel your Membership, please email us at email@example.com. 28 days notice is required to terminate membership, and no refunds will be issued. Founder Membership is non-refundable but may be cancelled at any time by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
If you wish to change your membership type, contact email@example.com. Changes in membership type will become effective when processed by the office (additional training induction may be required before this can take effect) and subject to payment of any adjusted membership fee.
If you have any concerns or complaints about the service you receive from Makespace Cambridge Limited, please contact us in one of the following ways:
- * speak to one of the team at Makespace in person
- * email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- * call us on 01223 926 001
- * write to us at our registered office address: Makespace Cambridge Limited, 16 Mill Lane, Cambridge, CB2 1RX
Founder Membership was especially for those who were able to support us with capital upfront. Founder Members paid £250 upfront before Makespace was open, in exchange for 6 months of membership including early access to the space and involvement in planning and building the space and community. We are very grateful to all the Founder Members who made Makespace possible and who share responsibility for the space, kit and community.
A full list of Founder Members is on display at Makespace.